Staff Instrument & Controls Engineer - Food & Consumer Products (Greenville)
Company: Burns & McDonnell
Posted on: November 18, 2021
DescriptionExecutes Instrument and Controls Engineering design
activities for minor to major scale EPC projects in food, consumer
products, pharmaceutical, life science and chemical industrial
facilities. Responsible for providing Controls Systems and
Instrumentation design deliverables for the project(s) in the front
end, detailed design, construction, and start-up phases.
- Responsible for compliance with company and project site safety
- Works with a team of Instrument and Controls Engineers and
Designers in the execution of design and interfaces with a
multi-discipline project team consisting of project manager,
electrical, controls, estimating and multiple engineering
- Responsible for developing PLC and HMI programming design
deliverables as well as commissioning and startup support of those
- Develop instrumentation engineering/design deliverables,
including Instrument Index, Instrument Data Sheets, Instrument
Installation Details, Instrument Location Plans, Wiring Diagrams,
and Loop Diagrams.
- Develop controls design deliverables, including I/O list,
Process Control Narratives, and Control Panel Design.
- Develop electrical design deliverables including 480VAC and
below equipment power design, installation plan drawings, and
- Develop I&C purchase specifications, review bids, make
technical recommendations and manage the overall purchase,
- Develop and manage third party control system suppliers to
comply with the control system design requirements, including
participating in Factory Acceptance Tests (FAT).
- Responsible for applying knowledge of commonly used I&C
engineering/design concepts, principles, practices, codes, and
procedures within the engineering services industry.
- Interfaces directly with construction personnel in development
of contracts and execution of work. Tracks Instrument and Controls
design efforts against budgets and expected progress.
- Works with clients and vendors directly in developing design
and builds lasting business relationships.
- Responsible for leadership and guidance of less experienced
- Experienced in the development of P&IDs and working with
process engineers to define and show proper scope of the
- Provides the specification of the various types of instruments
for flow, pressure, temperature and level
- Develop design calculations, project studies and report
- Perform quality reviews of project design submittals.
- Quality review the construction administration including
coordination with field personnel to resolve design related
installation issues, calculations, field inspections and testing of
- Coordinates workload with Control Systems Department
- Interfaces directly with offsite design office and coordinates
and tracks execution of all electrical controls department work to
- All other duties as assigned.
- Instrumentation and Controls design deliverables include
developing PLC and HMI programming, instrument specifications,
instrument inquiry/purchase packages, I/O List, loop drawings,
control panel designs, wiring drawings, one lines, FRS, SRS
- Electrical design deliverables include load list, grounding,
lighting, power plan, one lines, MCC/PDP, cable sizing and
- This position will be accountable for making trips to job sites
to survey and support installations and startups (travel about
- Bachelor's degree in Instrument & Controls, Electrical,
Chemical Engineering from accredited program.
- Minimum 3 years instrumentation and Controls experience.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- Successful completion (i.e.passing) FE or EIT preferred.
- Ability to work methodically and analytically in a quantitative
problem-solving environment and demonstrated critical thinking
- Knowledge of applicable design standards covering Instrument &
Control Design/Engineering such as NFPA, ISA, IEC, IEEE, ISA/IEC
61511, ISO13849, UL508A .
- Experience in Rockwell and Siemens PLC platform. Experience in
GE, Modicon, Opto22, Mitsubishi, and Triconex PLC platforms a
- Experience in high availability virtualization solutions,
network architecture design and segmentation is a plus.
- SCADA experience with Factory Talk and Wonderware local and
distributed systems, Ignition Software is a plus.
- Strong computer skills (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite).
- Strong attention to detail, facilitation, team building,
collaboration, organization and problem-solving skills.
- Previous EPC project execution experience is a
plus.EEO/Minorities/Females/Disabled/VeteransJob Instrumentation &
Controls EngineeringPrimary Location US-SC-GreenvilleSchedule:
Full-timeTravel: Yes, 25 % of the TimeReq ID: 212612\#LI-MJ
Keywords: Burns & McDonnell, Greenville , Staff Instrument & Controls Engineer - Food & Consumer Products (Greenville), Engineering , Greenville, South Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!