(Senior) Test Automation Engineer (remote)
Company: Binary Defense
Posted on: June 23, 2022
Binary Defense, headquartered in Stow, Ohio, is a rapidly
growing cybersecurity software and services firm with solutions
that include SOC-as-a-Service, best-in-class Managed Detection &
Response software, Security Information & Event Management, Threat
Hunting and Counterintelligence. Our expert security staff and
technology help shield businesses from cyberattacks.Named a
Cleveland Plain Dealer Top Workplace in 2020 and a top 10 software
developer in Northeast Ohio by Crain's, Binary Defense is a
fast-paced business that enjoys a relaxed culture, flexible remote
work options, as well as generous on-site perks. For the third year
in a row, Binary Defense has been recognized as one of the
fastest-growing private companies in the US! Ranking at 2,985 on
the Inc. 5000 list for 2021, Binary Defense is proud of its
position as the only security firm in Ohio to make the list. The
company ranks among the top 100 in Ohio for growth, and in the top
25 in the Northeast Ohio region. At the 2021 Greater Cleveland
Partnership's "Best of Tech Awards," Binary Defense was recognized
as the "Tech Company of the Year", "Best Technology Solution" and
"Best Tech Services Company" in Northeast Ohio.Binary Defense
offers competitive medical, dental and vision coverage for
employees and dependents, a 401k match which vests every payroll, a
flexible and remote friendly work environment, as well as training
opportunities to expand your skill set (to name a few!). If you're
interested in joining a growing team with great perks, we encourage
you to apply!About the RoleBinary Defense is seeking a Test
Automation Engineer, reporting into the Architect, Quality
Engineering, who will be critical in building and maintaining our
test automation suite. You will be a member of an Agile Delivery
Team and will partner with Software Engineers to ensure high
quality releases of software. We believe that quality is a team
sport (there are no Development and QA silos), and that excellent
software is created through the close proximity of development and
test activities. Therefore, you must be able to write test
automation, including performance tests, perform manual testing
when needed, and educate the Software Engineers on how they
contribute in the process of delivering high quality software for
our customers. As a remote-friendly team, we default to trust and
expect the best from each other. We thrive when we cooperate with
each other to deliver timely and effective work. We do our best to
help everyone bring their whole selves to work, encourage
diversity, and support family-friendliness and flexibility in our
schedule. Key ResponsibilitiesEffectively collaborate within a
product-focused software delivery team to:
- Deliver world-class security products of the highest quality
while using Agile frameworks (Scrum, Kanban, XP, etc.) and test
- Define, design, estimate, plan, & execute user stories
- Write high-quality test automation code and perform manual
testing as needed
- Design, develop, and maintain test automation suite using
Python, Shell Scripting/ Bash.
- Learn new technologies, tools, and coding languages to enhance
the test automation suite to continuously improve the quality of
- Demonstrate passion for working in an Agile (Scrum, Kanban, XP,
etc.) software development environment with a focus implementing
best practices and continuously improving as a team in ways that
support our unique business needs.
- Work within a delivery team to integrate the test automation
into build pipelines that support continuous testing.
- Participate in design and code reviews, measure code coverage,
assess overall system quality, and ensure effectiveness.
- Automate API testing based on project needs.
- Partner with Architect of Quality Engineering to improve tests,
test environments and test data.
- Provide information to support reporting of key performance
metrics to assess quality.
- Supports Architect of Quality Engineering in regular activity
with the delivery team to assess current state of quality and build
plans to improve.
- Other projects and responsibilities, as assigned by the direct
- Computer Science, Engineering, or similar degree. Equivalent
real-world experience would be acceptable in lieu of degree.
- 3+ years of hands-on software development or test automation
- Python - Expertise Level: High
- Shell Scripting, Powershell, Go, etc - Expertise Level:
- Active Directory, Windows Registry, Windows Event, Group Policy
& related - Expertise Level: Moderate
- Experience working with/ testing on-prem/ cloud VMs (installing
software remotely, monitoring system & custom application logs,
- Experience working with/ testing client-based application
- Experience using git as a source code management tool
- Experience with integrating automation frameworks in the CI
- Knowledge of the automation testing lifecycle.
- Aptitude and desire to learn security tools to replicate
techniques used during cyber-attacks.
- Experience successfully working with distributed teams as the
delivery teams are fully remote.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written), and the
ability to work effectively with others in a team environment.
- Strong fundamentals and passion around a "shift left" mindset -
we believe in beginning to test requirements during refinement
- Successful experience delivering using team-based Agile
frameworks (Scrum, Kanban, XP, etc.).Other Knowledge, Skills and
- Interest in learning other languages in addition to Python,
Powershell & Shell Scripting/ Bash
- Ability to debug the possible causes of failures and generate
bug tickets for the team to solve.
- Communicative and social - excellent interpersonal and
communication skills, including the ability to clearly and
concisely express concepts in verbal and written forms.
- Creativity, initiative, and flexibility - tempered by
pragmatism, patience, and attention to detail.
- Proactive - must embody a strong sense of responsibility for
the timely completion of tasks.
- Enthusiastic - must be high-energy and a passionate advocate
for quickly delivering value.
- Collaborative - Works closely with team members and
stakeholders to understand needs, gain perspective, and
collectively execute automated test iterations, tracking &
reporting test results, troubleshooting and coordinating the bug
- Honest, humble, friendly, and collegial.
- Self-motivated - ability to learn on the job in fast paced
environment and make progress despite obstacles.
- Bring an ability to thrive in a fully remote organization.
- Approaches work with a strong sense of urgency - you are in
control and consistently identify opportunities to progress sooner
rather than later. Preferred
- Experience in cybersecurity and intelligence.
- Knowledge of application security practices.
- Previous experience testing distributed solutions deployed on
servers and end user machines that integrate with a web
- Experience with exploratory testing - the complexities of the
security domain requires some creative thinking to try and break
the software in interesting ways
- Working knowledge of GitLab.
- Experience using macOS as a Development Platform - all
engineers are provided a MacBook Pro.Nice to haves
- Other language experiences like F#, C#, or C/C++
- Knowledge of cloud and container technology (e.g. AWS, Azure,
- Understanding of Terraform, Ansible, Pulumi, or Vagrant.
Keywords: Binary Defense, Greenville , (Senior) Test Automation Engineer (remote), Engineering , Greenville, South Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!