Direct Material Technical Buyer - Electronics
Company: JTEKT North America Inc
Posted on: September 15, 2023
TITLE Direct Material Technical Buyer (Hybrid role)
JTEKT North America
LOCATION Greenville, SC or Plymouth, MI
REPORTS TO Direct Material Supervisor
GRADE 105-106 based on experience
This position will be responsible for management of a variety of
activities associated within the Direct Material Purchasing team as
well as develop a thorough understanding of the Purchasing
Essential Duties and Accountabilities:
- Lead Purchasing Projects that could impact multiple corporate
- Develop "Should Be Cost" of components within their assigned
commodity. This will involve a thorough understanding of component
cost drivers, commodity market intelligence (related to labor
costs, material costs, etc.). The purpose/goal is for this
individual to be able to estimate what we should be paying for a
- Evaluate Supplier Quotation Cost Breakdown Details - develop
- Become familiar with the main cost drivers of his/her
commodities and communicate internally within JTEKT/Koyo this
information to ensure optimum designs are released at the time of
- Research and understand market trends, create a Benchmark on
assigned commodities, create a Make -vs- Buy analysis, evaluation
of Localization/LCC/Mexico sourcing and understand the impact of
technology on the product - create and maintain a Global Qualified
- Create the Commodity Strategy for their Key Commodities (format
will be provided).
- Evaluate commodity and suppliers to determine what type of
agreement is required with each supplier and then to draft,
negotiate, and implement the decided level of the contract.
- Identify cost reduction activities from the beginning of the
product design stage, through the production life of the product
- Lead negotiations with suppliers to accomplish the Should
Be/Target pricing he or she has determined to be market competitive
for component piece price, tooling cost, etc. This individual can
and will at times be required to support Buyer P3 and P4 levels in
the development of negotiation strategies as well as provide
support during the actual face to face supplier negotiations.
- Mentor new employees or to provide guidance/assistance to a
Buyer 3 or 4 on a particular assignment, project, or
- Support the Supplier Advancement Engineer in VA/VE and Kaizen
supplier workshops by defining cost reduction targets and
negotiating cost sharing rules with suppliers.
- Provide management of Supplier Risk as well as Quarterly
reporting of KPIs to each Key Supplier and will be responsible for
the overall performance of his/her suppliers and their Quality,
Cost and Delivery performance.
- Frequent travel to suppliers (international travel a
- Generate a map of Supplier Processes including Bekido and
Chokko rates at time of quotation as well a follow up later to
confirm quoted rates are occurring.
- Work overtime as required and occasional Saturdays and/or
Sundays when directed by immediate supervisor, as necessary, to
complete essential job duties.
- This position requires a high level of professional competency
and skills sufficient to perform activities associated with Direct
- This position will require thorough understanding and usage of
JNA Purchasing Policies and Procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Purchasing Manager.
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities. Job
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, Access and
- Strong organizational skills, able to work well under pressure
and manage several tasks simultaneously.
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong Problem Solving Skills
- Self-motivated and able to work without close supervision.
- Ability to handle confidential information and maintain the
highest legal and ethical standards.
- Basic knowledge of applicable quality, health, safety, and
environmental management systems. Education and Experience:
- Bachelors Degree with Focus in Business Administration,
Accounting, or Engineering
- Requires 3+ Years Automotive Direct Material Purchasing
Experience Work Environment/Physical Demands:
The work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those an employee encounters while performing the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
- The daily work is mostly performed in a normal office setting
with minimal exposure to health or safety hazards, and with
substantial time spent working on a computer. Requires sufficient
hand, arm, and finger dexterity to operate a computer and other
- Communicate (hearing and speech) with individuals in person and
- Visually read reports, computer screen, etc.
- Maintain a minimum of 8 hours worked/day, 5 days/week Employee
may perform other duties as requested, directed or assigned.
- Job Family 2019 MAPPING
- Pay Type Salary
- Travel Required Yes
- Travel % 15
- Required Education Bachelor's Degree
Keywords: JTEKT North America Inc, Greenville , Direct Material Technical Buyer - Electronics, IT / Software / Systems , Greenville, South Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!