Claims Representatives Outside Property
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other.
Thats the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have
maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty
insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a
culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration.
Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
Under moderate supervision, this position is responsible for the
handling of first party property claims including: investigating,
evaluating, estimating and negotiating to ensure optimal claim
resolution for personal or business claims of moderate severity and
complexity. Handles claims and other functional work involving one
or more lines of business other than property (i.e. auto, workers
compensation, premium audit, underwriting) may be required.
Provides quality claim handling throughout the claim life cycle
(customer contacts, coverage, investigation, evaluation, reserving,
negotiation and resolution) including maintaining full compliance
with internal and external quality standards and state specific
regulations. As part of the hiring process, this position requires
the completion of an online pre-employment assessment. Further
information regarding the assessment including an accommodation
process, if needed, will be provided at such time as your candidacy
is deemed appropriate for further consideration.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Handles 1st party property claims of moderate severity and
complexity as assigned.
- Completes field inspection of losses including accurate scope
of damages, photographs, written estimates and/or computer assisted
- Broad scale use of innovative technologies.
- Investigates and evaluates all relevant facts to determine
coverage, damages and liability of first-party property damage
claims (including but not limited to analyzing leases, contracts,
by-laws and other relevant documents which may have an impact),
damages, business interruption calculations and liability of
first-party property claims under a variety of policies. Secures
recorded or written statements as appropriate.
- Establishes timely and accurate claim and expense
- Determines appropriate settlement amount based on independent
judgment, computer assisted building and/or contents estimate,
estimation of actual cash value and replacement value, contractor
estimate validation, appraisals, application of applicable limits
and deductibles and work product of Independent Adjusters.
- Negotiates with multiple constituents, i.e.; contractors or
insureds representatives and conveys claim settlements within
- Writes denial letters, Reservation of Rights and other complex
- Properly assesses extent of damages and manages damages through
proper usage of cost evaluation tools.
- Meets all quality standards and expectations in accordance with
the Knowledge Guides.
- Maintains diary system, capturing all required data and
documents claim file activities in accordance with established
- Manages file inventory to ensure timely resolution of
- Handles files in compliance with state regulations, where
- Provides excellent customer service to meet the needs of the
insured, agent and all other internal and external
- Recognizes when to refer claims to Travelers Special
Investigations Unit and/or Subrogation Unit.
- Identifies and refers claims with Major Case Unit exposure to
- Performs administrative functions such as expense accounts,
time off reporting, etc. as required.
- Provides multi-line assistance in response to workforce
management needs; including but not limited to claim handling for
Auto, Workers Compensation, General Liability and other areas of
the business as needed.
- May provides mentoring and coaching to less experienced claim
- May attend depositions, mediations, arbitrations, pre-trials,
trials and all other legal proceedings, as needed.
- CAT Duty ~ This position will require participation in our
Catastrophe Response Program, which could include deployment away
for a minimum of 16 days (includes 2 travel days) to assist our
customers in other states.
- Must secure and maintain company credit card required.
- In order to perform the essential functions of this job,
acquisition and maintenance of Insurance License(s) may be required
to comply with state and Travelers requirements. Generally,
license(s) must be obtained within three months of starting the job
and obtain ongoing continuing education credits as mandated.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- A minimum of one year previous outside property claim handling
experience or successful completion of Travelers Outside Claim
Representative training program required.
- Valid driver's license required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelors Degree preferred.
- General knowledge of estimating system Xactimate
- 2+ years previous outside property claim handling experience
Licensing or Certificates
- Valid passport preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Interpersonal and customer service skills Advanced
- Organizational and time management skills- Advanced
- Ability to work independently Intermediate
- Judgment, analytical and decision making skills -
- Negotiation skills Intermediate
- Written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
including the ability to convey and receive information effectively
- Investigative skills Intermediate
- Ability to analyze and determine coverage Intermediate
- Analyze, and evaluate damages Intermediate
- Resolve claims within settlement authority Intermediate
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- This position requires the individual to access and inspect all
areas of a dwelling or structure, which is physically demanding
requiring the ability to carry, set up and climb a ladder weighing
approximately 38 to 49 pounds, walk on roofs, and enter tight
spaces (such as attic staircases and entries, crawl spaces, etc.).
While specific territory or day-to-day responsibilities may not
require an individual to climb a ladder, the incumbent must be
capable of safely climbing a ladder when deploying to a catastrophe
which is a requirement of the position.
- Travel Requirements: Travel Occasionally
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique
abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization
and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of
this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level
above or below the level included in this posting.
Keywords: Travelers, Greenville , Claims Representatives Outside Property, Other , Greenville, South Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!