Clinic Office Specialist
Company: Palmetto Health
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Inspire health. Serve with compassion. Be the difference.
This is an entry level position in which incumbents are
responsible for aspects of clinic practice front office management
and operation as assigned. May be responsible for some or all front
office functions as detailed in the next section. Responsible for
patient registration, precertification, charge capture and coding
diagnoses given by physicians. Receives and interviews patients to
collect and verify pertinent demographic and financial data.
Verfies insurance and initiates pre-authorization process when
required. Responsible for posting all payments and balancing with
the computer reports at day end. Arranges for patient pre-payments
and enforces financial agreements prior to providing service. Works
queques, when appropriate gathers charge information, codes, enters
into EHR, completes billing process, distributes billing
information. Files insurance claims and assists patients in
completing insurance forms. Processes unpaid accounts by contacting
patients and third party payers. Can assume decision making
responsibilities as directed by manager. Requires a high level of
public contact and excellent interpersonal skills. Performs all
assigned duties in a courteous and professional manner. May be
cross trained to perform other business office functions if needed
as directed by the manager.
PATIENT ACCOUNTING/REGISTRATION/SCHEDULING - 45%
- Interviews patient or other source (in accordance with HIPAA
Guidelines) to secure information relative to financial status,
demographic data and employment information. Enters accurate
information into the computer database, accesses appropriate
systems to ensure the most recent insurance card is on file, and
scans documents according to departmental guidelines. Follows up
for incomplete and missing information.
- Serves as a liaison between patient and medical support
- Greets patients and visitors in a prompt, courteous, and
- Checks in patients, verifies and updates necessary insurance
information in the patient accounting system (on line
- Obtains signatures on all forms and documents as required.
- Maintains office schedule and follows office scheduling
- Provides front office phone support as needed and outlined
through crosstraining program.
- Screens visitors and responds to routine requests for
- Responsible for working work queue's to completion. i.e.
registration, charges, referrals, etc.
- Processes vouchers and private payments, to include updating
registration screens based on information on checks.
- Researches address verification as needed.
- Helps to process mail return statements and outgoing
- Reconciles and acquires, when needed, billing information for
all doctors for all patients seen in practice.
- Performs cashiering functions including monitoring and
balancing cash drawer daily. Prepares daily cash deposits. Receives
payments from patients and issues receipts. Codes and posts
payments and maintains required records, reports and files.
- Works with patients in securing prepayment sources or financial
agreements prior to providing service.
- Participates with other staff to achieve account resolution.
Assists with outpatient coding and error resolution.
- Processes edits and Customer Service and Collection Request for
resolution within specified time frames.
- Identify trends and communicates problems to management.
- Updates patient account database.
- Maintains and updates current information on physician's
- Schedules surgeries, ancillary services and follow-up
outpatient appointments and admissions as requested.
- Answers questions regarding patient appointments and
- Assembles patient records and forms for next day visit. Updates
profiles on all patients, ensuring completeness and accuracy.
- Oversees waiting area, coordinates patient movement, reports
problems or irregularities. Assists patients with ambulatory
- Prepares and distributes appropriate reports, documents, and
patient identification items as required. This includes but is not
limited to, GHS Privacy Notice, Patient Rights and
Responsibilities, Patient Rights in Healthcare Decisions Brochure,
schedules, productivity logs, monthly collection reports, etc.
BILLING/FEE TICKET PREPARATION/MEDICAL RECORDS MAINTENANCE -
Researches all information needed to complete outpatient billing
process including getting charge information from physicians.
Codes information about procedures performed and diagnosis on
Keys charge information into on-line program.
Processes and distributes copies of documents according to
Assists with outpatient coding and error resolution.
Reviews patient records for scheduled appointments in
Delivers, transports, sorts and files returned charts.
Picks up lab reports, dictations, correspondence, etc.
Scans appropriate information into the EHR.
Destroys outdated records following established procedures for
retention and destruction.
Works with medical assistants and other staff to route patients
and records to proper location.
- Follows related EHR policies and procedures.
DATA ENTRY OPERATOR - 20%
- Gathers and verifies information for specified practice on a
- Enters all same day payment information for patient visits and
hospital patients, verifying accuracy of coding, charging and
patient insurance status.
- Prints daily reports, verifying charge balancing at day
- Complete work queue's on a daily basis.
- Registers new patients after verifying patient status on
computer inquiry. Updates financial information as indicated.
This is a non-management job that will report to a supervisor,
manager, director or executive.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent
Experience: 1 year of experience in customer service OR one year
of office experience in either a physician practice, hospital, or
medical insurance processing work environment
Other Required Experience
Associate Degree in a technical specialty program of 18 months
minimum in length - Preferred
Multi-specialty group practice setting experience -
Intermediate ICD-9 and CPT coding abilities - Preferred
Day (United States of America)
Center for Prosthetics & Orthotics
1008 Greenville Memorial Hospital
10359040 Patient Registration-SOC
Share your talent with us! Our vision is simple: to transform
healthcare for the benefits of the communities we serve. The
transformation of healthcare requires talented individuals in every
role here at Prisma Health.
Keywords: Palmetto Health, Greenville , Clinic Office Specialist, Other , Greenville, South Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!