Supervisory Staff Attorney
Company: American Family
Posted on: June 11, 2021
Location: AF-MO Offsite Missouri
Location: AF-KS Offsite Kansas
At American Family Insurance, we believe people are an
organization's most valuable asset, and their ideas and experiences
matter. From our CEO to our agency force, we're committed to
growing a diverse and inclusive culture that empowers innovation
that will inspire, protect, and restore our customers' dreams in
ways never imagined.
American Family Insurance is driven by our customers and
employees. That's why we provide more than just a job - we provide
opportunity. Whether you're already part of our team in search of a
new challenge or new to our company and ready for what's next,
you're in the right place. Every dream is a journey that starts
with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join our team.
Bring your dreams.
R22635 Supervisory Staff Attorney (Open)
Compensation may vary based on the job level and
your geographic work location.
Compensation Minimum:$109,000 Compensation Maximum:$191,000
Provides effective legal representation by retaining and
supervising outside counsel that handles complex litigation
involving either the corporation and/or its insured within
established corporate guidelines and the applicable code of
professional responsibility. Litigation includes all aspects of
civil litigation, including trials and proceedings in all forums,
whether at the local, state or federal level, mediation,
arbitration, workers' compensation, and administrative proceedings,
and any necessary appellate work. Provides legal advice to the
enterprise to assist in the timely disposition of claims in a fair
and equitable manner consistent with relevant statutes and within
the guidelines of the company.
Job Level Summary
- Requires in-depth conceptual and practical knowledge in
own job discipline and basic knowledge of related job
- Solves complex problems.
- Works independently, receives minimal
- May lead projects or project steps within a broader
project or may have accountability for an on-going activities or
- Acts as a resource for colleagues with less
- Level may stabilize for many years or until
- Supervises litigation involving either the corporation and/or
its insured within established corporate guidelines and the
applicable code of professional responsibility. Oversees files and
issues of a complex nature. Communicates with outside counsel and
the enterprise management and partners regarding file status and
- Analyzes file as litigation progresses. Evaluates cases and
seeks settlement as necessary.
- Oversees outside counsel throughout the discovery process (e.g.
written interrogatories, requests for production of documents, and
- Oversees outside counsel motion practice.
- Reviews all necessary pleadings, papers and briefs drafted by
outside counsel to advance litigation.
- Assists outside counsel in the negotiations and
resolution of claims and other issues.
- Stays current on state statutes and court decisions and
analyzes how statutes and court decisions affect the interpretation
and enforceability of the various policy provisions. May have or
develop areas of specialty practice (e.g. special property,
workers` compensation, environmental law, commercial
- Provides legal advice to enterprise partners in effectively
adjusting claims and other legal matters as requested.
- Participates in divisional or corporate projects as
- Shares knowledge with enterprise employees as
- Develops and delivers presentations for other departments to
inform personnel on how the law affects their particular job
- Adjusts reserves to reflect company exposure based upon file
information available at that time.
- This position requires travel up to 10% of the
Education & Licenses
- Admission to the State Bar of Missouri or eligibility for
admission to the bar and obtaining admission within a year of
- Juris Doctor.
Specialized Knowledge & Skills
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions,
support or service
- Demonstrated experience making decisions independently gained
through a high degree of technical knowledge and expertise acquired
through litigation activities and trial experience.
- Extensive experience preparing civil pleadings, motions and
discovery and deposing witnesses.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of rules of Professional
Responsibility for the jurisdiction in which they practice.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of tort, contract, and
Additional Job Information:
- Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the
results of applicable background checks
- Offer to selected candidate is contingent on signing a
non-disclosure agreement for proprietary information, trade
secrets, and inventions
- Our policy restricts consideration of applicants needing
employment sponsorship (visas) to specialty occupations.
Sponsorship will not be considered for this position
When you work at American Family you can expect benefits that
support your physical, emotional, and financial wellbeing. You will
have access to comprehensive medical, dental, vision and wellbeing
benefits that enable you to take care of your health. We also offer
a competitive 401(k) contribution, a pension plan, an annual
incentive, and a paid-time off program. In addition, our student
loan repayment program and paid-family leave are available to
support our employees and their families. Interns and contingent
workers are not eligible for American Family Enterprise
We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories,
consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Stay connected: Join Our Enterprise Talent
Keywords: American Family, Greenville , Supervisory Staff Attorney, Other , Greenville, South Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!