Family Support Counselor I
Company: We Are Sharing Hope Sc
Posted on: May 14, 2022
SummaryThe Family Support Counselor I supports the mission of We
Are Sharing Hope SC (SHSC) by inspiring our community, offering
hope and changing lives through the gift of organ, eye and tissue
donation. This mission-driven individual is a dedicated and
compassionate professional who is responsible for engaging in
emotionally challenging end-of-life decisions for organ and tissue
donation with families experiencing a sudden and devastating loss
while also advocating for potential recipients in need of
life-saving or life-enhancing transplants.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Actively contributes to SHSC's Mission, Vision and Core Values
to maximize the gift of organ and tissue donation.
- Demonstrates flexibility with unpredictable work schedule by
serving on a rotating call schedule in order to provide 24/7
response services to patient referrals in the OPO's Designated
Service Area (DSA) hospitals, including nights, weekends and
- Obtains psychosocial information needed to determine the legal
decision-making hierarchy and family dynamics to best determine the
individuals to engage and be involved in the donation
- Assists as a referral responder, when necessary, and obtains
clinical and medical history information needed to determine
preliminary suitability for organ donation in collaboration with an
administrator on call (OAOC).
- Collaborates with an administrator on call (FSC AOC) to
establish an appropriate need for an escalated family communication
and engagement plan involving an FSC II.
- Serves as a resource for our hospital partners to help mobilize
their internal support services (e.g. pastoral care, interpreters,
etc.) available for potential donor families. This ensures, to the
best of the FSCs ability, that the family is satisfied with their
- Actively contributes to SHSC's Quality Systems Program and the
organizational commitment to excellence by effectively and
expeditiously completing duties pertaining to case reviews, data
collection and documentation.
- Develops and contributes to SHSC's efforts of fostering
effective internal & external partnerships to ensure the success of
our mission. This includes but is not limited to:
- Communicating directly with the attending MDs, RNs, Nursing
Administration, Chaplains, and Interpreters to ensure we are
preserving the option of donation for the potential donor family
and the patient.
- Collaborating in the Coroner and Medical Examiner process when
- Participating in SHSC sponsored community related events in
honor of our donor heroes and their families (e.g. Candlelight
ceremonies, SHSC race, Remembrance Day).
- Collaborating closely with SHSC Hospital Development Department
to ensure cohesive hospital interactions through continuous
communication with healthcare staff during referrals, visibility
rounds, in services, etc.
- Assists the FSC II in ensuring the donor family transitions
seamlessly from in-hospital Family Support Services to the
Aftercare Program by communicating and documenting family
information, legacy items provided and tributes performed while in
- The FSC must be flexible regarding work schedule to include the
willingness and ability to respond to changing circumstances and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree required
- At least 1 years of prior work experience in social work,
counseling, ministry or chaplaincy, specialization in grief,
bereavement and crisis intervention strongly preferred.
- Knowledge in a medical field and/or medical terminology
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be
- Must have valid state driver's license.
Keywords: We Are Sharing Hope Sc, Greenville , Family Support Counselor I, Other , Greenville, South Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!