Company: McMillan Pazdan Smith LLC
Posted on: January 24, 2023
Are you looking to join a larger firm that still has a small,
family feel? We are seeking a creative, innovative and talented
Construction Administrator to join our Greenville team! The
Construction Administrator I leads the MPS project team throughout
the construction administration (CA) and project closeout phases.
Opportunities exist for Community projects.
About McMillan Pazdan Smith (MPS): McMillan Pazdan Smith
Architecture is a studio-based, client-focused and
community-oriented firm founded in 1955. The firm represents a
collaborative group of dedicated and enthusiastic design
professionals who believe function, beauty, constructability and
cost-effectiveness are integral attributes of good environmental
design. McMillan Pazdan Smith has 280+ employees across seven
locations in the South East.
What it's Like to Work Here: Ask our employees and the one word
they'd use to describe working at MPS is "People." Our team members
all share a commitment to building positive relationships with the
clients we serve and meaningful connections together within their
teams inside of the firm through our core values of Collaboration,
Fairness, Community, Client Focus and Good Design . We are firmly
rooted in the communities we serve and have a deep commitment to
making the communities around us better as design professionals.
Our welcoming, down to earth culture, plus opportunities for all
team members to be creative and challenged to learn and experience
a multitude of diverse projects, have resulted in industry-low
turnover. Don't miss out on this exciting opportunity to grow your
career with us!
A Day in the Life as a Construction Administrator: As a
Construction Administrator you will be a vital leader throughout
the project process, providing guidance, knowledge and quality
deliverables in pre-construction, construction and
post-construction. Here is a list of other responsibilities related
to your role as a Construction Administrator:
- Manage construction administration activities on projects.
- Ability to read, interpret, and understand plans,
specifications, and other contract documents.
- Understand and fulfill terms and conditions of owner -
architectural agreement and owner - General Contractor (GC) /
Construction Manager (CM) contract requirements and
- Communicate with MPS project team and consultants on project
issues in a timely and well-organized manner.
- Perform quality control throughout project life cycle.
- Participate in mandatory monthly CA meetings on topics
including technology, best practices, lessons learned, and other
- Participate in CA and designated design studio periodic
meetings as well as project team meetings.
Pre-Construction / Design
- Perform field verification of existing project conditions and
report observed design/construction concerns to Project Manager
(PM) and Project Architect (PA).
- Perform pre-construction specification and drawing quality
control and constructability reviews leading up to "for
construction documents issue".
- Identify engineering coordination issues, unclear or absent
information, code compliance concerns, or construction method
quality and scheduling concerns.
- Participate in project hand-off from design to CA with PM and
- Review project schedule, design intent, special features, and
budget along with client expectations.
- Maintain MPS record set documents, including filing,
organization, updating with revisions and request for information
(RFI) responses, etc.
- Monitor project for construction document and reoccurring
client standards compliance.
- Review and issue document revisions and once prepared by
- Review generated revisions for quality, coordination, and
accuracy with cause for revision
- Issue revisions to project team, file, and record in record
- Lead shop drawing and submittal review process, by MPS and
consultants, to ensure timely review.
- Lead RFI review process, by MPS staff and consultants, to
ensure timely response.
- Record responses in MPS record documents.
- Travel as required to project sites for site visits and project
- Perform site visits for observation of project progress and
- Prepare field observation reports, including project progress,
observations, discussions with GC/CM staff, photographs, etc. and
distribute to project team.
- Attend Owner/Architect/Construction (OAC) meetings and record
accurate meeting minutes for record and distribution.
- Work with PM, PA, and consultants to promptly close action
items generated during OAC meetings.
- Serve as MPS main point of contact during project CA phase with
- Serve as liaison /mediator between owner(s) and contractor(s)
- Coordinate generation of MPS and consultant punch-lists.
- Attend all State and Federal level Authority Having
Jurisdiction (AHJ) inspections and site visits
- Receive, review, and distribute third party and special
inspections test reports. Record deficiencies in log for tracking
- Review project budget at start of project with PM. Review
periodically to insure CA phase on target to achieve target
- Identify and track potential additional service activities
required by owner or GC/CM.
- Review change order requests promptly and provide
recommendations to owner / client. Forward and track engineering
scope change order requests to consultants.
- Review and certify payment applications.
- Receive and distribute closeout documentation from contractors
to MPS and consultants.
- Review closeout documents and respond with required corrections
or needed additional information as applicable.
- Includes as-builts, Operations and Maintenance manuals
(O&Ms), warranties, attic stock transmittals, financial, and
- Coordinate organization of closeout documentation required for
AHJ(s) with GC/CM as required.
- Facilitate GC financial closeout is completed in a timely
manner, but only after all other closeout activities have been
- Assist PM with project team post construction closeout,
including lessons learned discussion.
- Perform post-construction services and investigations as
About You: The qualifications of a Construction Administrator are
multi-faceted. The ability to effectively and confidently
prioritize and execute tasks with many competing priorities and
absorb new ideas and concepts quickly is a key skill for the
Construction Administrator. Here is a list of other required
- Bachelor's degree in construction science and/or management,
architecture, or engineering
- Ten (10) years combined experience in architecture,
engineering, or construction industry firm
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent grasp of building technology fundamentals
- Ability to read and understand plan documents
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to effectively and confidently prioritize and execute
tasks with many competing priorities
- Ability to absorb new ideas and concepts quickly
- Clear verbal and written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Exceptional organizational and follow-through skills
- Self-motivated and ability to work independently
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team
- Demonstrated cultural awareness and sensitivity
The Following Skills Would be an Added Bonus:
- Experience with Bluebeam PDF Revu
- Experience with Newforma Project Center
- Experience with Plangrid document management system
- Experience with Deltek Vision
- Experience with Autodesk Revit, Navisworks, and other BIM
software a bonus
Ready to apply? If this career opportunity sounds like a fit for
you and you are ready to join the MPS team, click on the 'apply'
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to grasp
objects; reach with hands and arms; balance, stop, kneel, or
crouch; speak or listen. The employee must occasionally lift and/or
carry up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the
job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral
vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative
of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform
the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may
be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may
occasionally be exposed to hazardous working conditions in
conjunction with construction site visits. The noise level in the
construction zone may be loud.
While performing the duties of this job in the office work
environment, the employee will not be exposed to hazardous working
conditions. The noise level in the office work environment is
McMillan Pazdan Smith Architecture provides equal employment
opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy,
sexual orientation or gender identity), national origin, age (40 or
older), disability or genetics. In addition to federal law
requirements, McMillan Pazdan Smith Architecture complies with
applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in
employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
Applicants also have rights under the following Federal Employment
Laws: Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Equal Employment
Opportunity (EEO), Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA).
Keywords: McMillan Pazdan Smith LLC, Greenville , Construction Administrator, Professions , Greenville, South Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!